Burns Farm House

In 1880, Thomas Burns Sr. paid the tidy sum of $1,190.00 for the 80 acres of land that soon housed the Burns Farmhouse.  Thomas and Mary added 5 daughters and 4 sons to fill up the rooms in their farmhouse.  It was apparent that each of the children was going to have to help in the farm operation to make ends meet.  The children only attended school in the winter months.  Spring was for planting crops and fall was for harvesting them.

The wood stove in the kitchen provided the means for cooking and baking the family meals, as well as a source of heat in the wintertime.  The laundry was done on the back porch with the use of a scrub board and later a wringer washer. Water was gathered from the pump located under the windmill.  Bathroom facilities were also in an exterior location!

 

Adopted by: John & Carol Morava

Web Services by Own Your BI, LLC | © 2018 Historic White Pine Village