Our website is a work in progress, please check back later or give us a call if you have any questions.

Admissions Building

The George Petersen Sr. Admission Building provides an attractive and convenient entrance to White Pine Village. The building houses the Gift Shop, Admission Area, Site Manager's office, and the Mason County Historical Society Research Library. The extensive Research Library contains information files, obituaries, maps, photographs, documents, family histories, scrapbooks, oral history tapes, directories, and newspapers.

Marchido School

 

Marchido School was a Mason County rural school, built about 1890.  The school was moved to its present location in 1973.  The Retired Teachers of Mason County devoted many hours of donated time preparing Marchido School as an exhibit representing all schools from the late 1800’s.

Walking two miles to attend the school was a common practice among the children.

Adopted by Kenneth & Beth Urban

 

Lumbering Museum

Abe Nelson was born in Norway and came to the United States at the age of four.   The lumber camp style building houses his lumbering collection.  Abe Nelson donated many of the items in this museum from a similar museum he owned and allowed school kids to tour in Ludington, personally telling them of stories he recalled of life in the lumber camps.  His personal hero was Paul Bunyan and he made items for the museum to appear oversized to help capture the imaginations of young and old.

Adopted by Dornbos Family in Memory of Dawn Dornbos

Artisan Center

Artisan Center was completely renovated on the inside and has a new sign installed over the door.  It is now filled with artifacts that relate to historical textile crafts such as weaving, spinning, quilting, knitting, sewing and more.

Adopted by Anne Pettigrew

 

Rose Hawley Museum

The Mason County Historical Society formally opened the Museum to the public on May 23, 1951. Rose Hawley had purchased a map of Ludington and Buttersville dated 1886 and when she took this first item to a Historical Society Meeting; she was named program chairman and she set to work looking into the local history.

The museum was consolidated with the White Pine Village setting in 1994.  At that time, the large two-story building at the village became the Rose Hawley Museum and provided exhibit area for furniture, clothing and a music gallery.

Adopted by Thomas A. Hawley

 

 

 

Blacksmith Shop

The blacksmith shop is a reproduction of the Custer Blacksmith Shop. The equipment came from the shop of the late Abe Nelson and from a shop located in Pentwater. This was one of the first buildings constructed to create White Pine Village.

Adopted by Doug & Rebecca Berringer & Family

 

 

 

Fire Station

The fire engine on display at the village is loaned to us by Mr. Mike McDonald, a member of the Ludington Fire Department, from 1958 to 1994.  The fire engine is a 1937 Boyer Fire Apparatus mounted on a Graham Brothers chassis.

Adopted by Jim Gariepy

 

 

 

 

General Store

The second of two log buildings on the grounds of White Pine Village is called Cole’s General Store. This log cabin was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Clay Cole. The building was moved to White Pine Village in 1975.

Adopted by Milan Reed

 

 

 

 

 

Trappers Cabin

This original log cabin was the first authorized post office in Mason County. It was originally a combination home and post office and was built as early as 1850. William Quevillon (Ku-vee-aw), who first came to this area as a trapper, built this cabin on one of his hunting trips.

Adopted by James & Diane Fay

 

Print Shop

The Siddon Print Shop houses several printing presses, print cabinets, and equipment related to the print industry. Built in 1862 by William Freeman on a parcel of land acquired from Charles Mears, the Siddons Post Office was established on February 20, 1882, and served 48 farmers. The Siddons Post Office building was donated to Historic White Pine Village by the family of Robert Thompsen.

Adopted by the Ludington Daily News

White Pine Chapel

Several architectural styles were borrowed from rural Mason County Churches and incorporated into the chapel:

  • The wood for the pews was donated by Brill Manufacturing and designed and assembled by the Village Carpentry Staff.
  • The window in the narthex is a gift from the Scottville United Methodist Church.
  • The sanctuary window, Calvary cross, and candlesticks are a gift from Grace Episcopal Church.
  • The window is a memorial to Samual Arnott Snow an early Ludington pharmacist.
  • One of the pump organs was built by the Star Organ Company about 1860.
  • St. Paul United Methodist of Riverton Township donated the steeple when their Morton Road Church was remodeled.

Adopted by Emmanuel Lutheran Church

Courthouse

This building was Mason County’s first courthouse.  Built in 1849 by Burr Caswell, the territory’s first permanent pioneer, it was the first frame house in Mason County. Burr Caswell, wife Hannah, who was part Native American, and their 4 children lived in this home.  Six years after building the home (1855), Burr Caswell offered the first floor for county government use.  The family moved upstairs. The main floor became the courtroom.  Across the back of the first floor was a trading post and in the basement was the first jail.

Adopted by Dr. Rick Plummer

Town Hall

The Pere Marquette Town Hall was built in 1879.  It was moved to the village in June of 1973 when the new brick town hall was constructed in its place.  The circa 1900 Parlor complete with solid marble fountain and hand-crafted oak and leaded glass cabinets was originally the “M. Chapp Confectionary” located near Detroit.

Adopted by Jim Gariepy

Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor

The Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor is located in the Town Hall, which was built in 1879 and relocated to the village in June of 1973.

The circa 1900 parlor, complete with solid marble fountain and handcrafted oak and leaded glass cabinets, was originally the "M. Chapp Confectionary" located near Detroit. The village purchased the interior of the parlor in the 1980s and stored it until 1992, when it became a part of the Town Hall setting.

Ice Cream is available for purchase during our special event days only. Bring your family out for a locally-made ice cream treat, just like great-grandma and grandpa used to have!

Post Office

Guy VanNortwick was postmaster in Pentwater from 1956 until his sudden death in 1974.  At the time he became postmaster, the contents of the Pentwater Post Office had to be purchased from the proceeding postmaster, which he did.  When the new Pentwater Post Office was built in 1971, the government furnished it with all new equipment and the old furnishings were Mr. VanNortwick’s to dispose of as he saw fit.  It was his wish to keep all this intact and to donate it to a local museum.

Adopted by: Dean Smith & Barb Doty

Village Time Museum

The Mason County Horological Society organized the construction of the Village Time Museum, affectionately known as the “Clock Shop” in 1990.  The clocks on display are primarily from the large donation of clocks and watches by Mrs. Hazel Oldt.

Adopted by Jim Gariepy

Museum Of Music

The Scottville Clown Band underwrote the construction of a beautiful, large building to display the 100 year history of the famed band from Scottville, Michigan. A memorial area pays tribute to many musicians who have contributed to the success of the band over the years.

Adopted by: Scottville Clown Band

Lumber Museums

Under restoration, this former Lumber Camp Blacksmith Shop (circa 1880) was part of the John G. Peterson Lumber Camp, the last large lumber camp to operate in Mason County.  The White Pine siding for the restoration of the buildings has mostly been sawed with our own sawmill.

Adopted by: James & Judith Jensen

Port Huron Sawmill

The Sawmill Shed houses the 1905 Port Huron Sawmill was donated to Historic White Pine Village on April 5, 1995 by Karel Taborsky and Weldon Burchill D.D.S.

The forty-eight foot sawmill can cut a log up to twenty feet long and was manufactured by the Port Huron Engine and Thresher Co., Port Huron, MI.

Adopted by Jim Gariepy

 

 

The Sugar Bush

The Sugar House was located on the Wendell Young Farm on S. Scottville Road. The Young Family Sugar Bush operated for three generations Marvin D.Young; J. LeRoy Young; and Wendell M. Young.

Adopted by Ned Nordine

Doctor's Office

Carlton and Margaret Sanders donated the Village Doctor’s Office to White Pine Village in 1993.  The Village Doctor’s office was once located in Custer, MI.

Adopted by Chuck & Glenna Paukstis

Hardware Store

In 1921 Mr. and Mrs. William Anderson moved to Ludington to operate her father’s store, Krogen Hardware.  They purchased the store in 1929 and renamed it the William Anderson Hardware Store. The building is an exact replica.  The contents and furnishings are displayed as they were (from photographic survey) when the business ceased operations in July 1978.

Adopted by Fred & Jane Horstman Family

AG Equipment Sheds

Ag Equipment Sheds house many pieces of farm machinery and equipment representing past eras of our local farming history.

Jorissen Barn

Jerome Jorissen, co-founder of the village, donated the barn. The barn was torn down at his Riverton Township farm. The beams were numbered for identification of there location and reconstructed at White Pine Village. The barn completes the farmstead setting and displays agricultural artifacts on several levels inside.

Adopted by The Jorissen Family

Burns Farmhouse

In 1880, Thomas Burns Sr. paid the tidy sum of $1190.00 for the 80 acres of land that soon housed the Burns Farmhouse.  Thomas and Mary added 5 daughters and 4 sons to fill up the rooms in their farmhouse.

Adopted by John & Carol Morava

Rahn Building

The Car Museum is housed in the Max K. Rahn Building.

Hamlin Lake Cabin

The building is decorated with “life on the lake” artifacts and furnishings.  The front porch has a rocking chair overlooking the pond.

Thanks to the Hamlin Lake Preservation Society, the Alfred Boulee family for donating the cabin and for funding this project.

Adopted by Hamlin Lake Preservation Society

30 BUILDINGS AND SITES TO EXPLORE

Among the many buildings are a Trappers Cabin, the original  1857 Caswell Court House for Mason County, a General Store, and Farmstead, Maritime, Lumbering, and Time Museums. The Museum of Music and Hamlin Cabin also add to the visitor experience. Whether you enjoy classic cars, beautiful flowers and gardens, farmstead life, or a beautiful chapel, all these can be experienced while touring the village.

As part of Mason County Historical Society, we also house an extensive research library which covers West Michigan and Mason County history, containing archival photos, newspapers, obituaries, and more. An on-line research database is maintained to aid family historians in their research.

EXCITING, INTERACTIVE, HISTORICAL, AND EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE

is Historic White Pine Village, located in a beautiful and serene setting overlooking Lake Michigan, just south of Ludington, MI.

Historic White Pine Village has been visited by tens of thousands of visitors and most comment upon leaving about the nostalgia, serenity and beauty of the village and its exhibits, truly a village “Where History is Fun.”  A self-guided tour experience, Historic White Pine Village is an exciting, cultural and educational visit for individuals or the entire family.

Visitors have been coming to the Village since 1976 to see and experience what life was like more than 100 years ago in Mason County.

HOURS OF OPERATION

CLOSED FOR THE 2017 SEASON

Open May – October
10 am – 5 pm Tuesday through Saturday
Admissions Office for last ticket sales at 3:30pm

Historic White Pine Village is operated by
Mason County Historical Society

1687 S. Lakeshore Drive
Ludington, MI 49431
Phone (231) 843-4808

EVENTS

Opening Day – Train Station Dedication

Saturday May 5th, 2018 will be our opening day and the day we are dedicating our Train Station! Come join us!